Wishes to get married again but the Islaamic centre does not recognise her divorce paper

Reference: Fataawa Mu’aasirah – Page 85-86

Question: A Muslim man married a Muslim woman in a masjid in Germany, and later he divorced her and she received a divorce paper. When she then wanted to marry another Muslim man in an Arab country, the marriage agency failed to recognise her divorce paper [from Germany] since it did not include the names of the two witnesses [to the divorce]. The masjid in which the marriage took place in Germany no longer exists and her first husband has travelled far away and she does not know of his address, so what should she do in order to get married again?

Response: Yes, she is able to get married without referring to the Islaamic centre (marriage agency), however it is imperative that her walee marries her off in addition to the maintaining of the remaining conditions of the nikaah. And [in addition to that] the other condition is that she must have completed her ‘iddah [from her divorce]. And Allaah [alone] has the Complete knowledge [of all affairs].

He is a graduate of the Islaamic University of Madeenah, having graduated from the Institute of Arabic Language, and later the Faculty of Sharee'ah in 2004. He currently resides in Birmingham, UK.

Related posts